Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kitchen Renovation

Well after much nagging from my much loved sister in law I have finally decided to write something in this blog she and I created about a year ago. Until now I didn't have something I felt so excited and passionate enough about to spend the time blogging!!! With four kids and a busy lifestyle (and too much Foxtel viewing) I couldn't find the right time or the right subject to blog about. BUT..... now we are about to put a new kitchen in and I thought why not start here!! Trying to design a kitchen is so exciting and so scary all at the same time. I want to be adventurous but safe, classic but not dated, innovative but traditional.....and there can be so many little things to decide on. Doors, layout, bench top, splashback, handles, appliances, space, function,.... oh and BUDGET....and the list goes on. I feel like if one thing isn't thought about carefully it will let the rest of the kitchen down. So far my husband and I have secured all the big decisions such as layout, design, style, bench tops and door colour. Now the cake is baked the icing needs to be given just as much thought. By icing I mean the pretty stuff!!!...handles, splash back and window covering. At the moment the existing kitchen is almost pulled out but you can get an idea from the photos what the colour and style is like. I felt it was too dark and drab so for our new kitchen we are going bright, light, and white. Silver will play and accent roll in accessories, handles, and pendant lights. I have been given much of my inspiration for this renovation from other blogs and from my favourite designer Sarah Richardson. If you haven't yet seen her renovation shows such as 'Sarah's House' and 'Sarah 101' I hope you can check them out soon.

Today was all about picking a sink so that a few measurements can be finalised and also a splashback tile, although that isn't urgent. I am on such a high this afternoon because I found the most gorgeous tile. It is a penny round mosaic in a colour called 'Mother of Pearl'. I am hoping it will give my all white kitchen the bling factor it needs without being over the top. I'll try to post a pic of that too.

Where the highchair is was our dining room.This will be where the new kitchen goes. The sink will go under the window. The stud wall that you can see is a new wall. That was our loungeroom which we have now closed off and created a fifth bedroom.The wall that you can see patches of colour on is coming down which will create an open hallway from our front door to the back room that I was standing in when taking this pic. It's a bit confusing but you'll see as we go along.

ok...so the wall that the fridge is on in this pic will stay but now be a hallway.

As my kitchen is now half demolished this is currently my cooking facilities...
jealous...Na I didnt think so!!


These are the Penny rounds I found today. They are very reflective in the light and, I think, would look gorgeous with pure white grout. Let me know what you think.

This link http://www.younghouselove.com/ will take you to a blog you may already know. They show how to install penny round tiles although we will be getting a professional to do ours!! Another blog  http://thehousethata-mbuilt.blogspot.com/ shows a house that I am soooooo in love with. Check out the style of her kitchen. I luuurve it!!!

Well stay tuned and enjoy the journey...

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from your SIL's blog! I look forward to seeing how your new kitchen evolves.
    And I must say, your kid's names are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete